Thursday, September 26, 2024

AEW GRAND SLAM 2024: Bryan vs. Nigel one more time

 


AEW DYNAMITE: GRAND SLAM 2024

Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness
It's beautiful to see this match happen. A special encore chapter in their legendary rivalry. Both Nigel & (especially) Bryan are just tremendous throughout with their facial expressions & body language, Nigel continues right where he left off all those years ago with good armwork, Bryan's selling is tremendous and most of the technical exchanges between the two are pretty wonderful. I do think that some of Nigel's offense looked pretty weak, and that unfortunately takes away some enjoyment from the thing, but I still thought this was awesome. The ending with Nigel thanking Bryan before tapping out is the kind of a thing that can come off as suuuper corny, but knowing the history & the story behind this match, it was perfect. ***1/2

Darby Allin vs. Jon Moxley
This is a pairing that I really like, but I just did not care for this match. There's some alright singular spots, but for really the entire match I just wasn't into Moxley's work on top, which then as a result sucked all the energy right out of Darby's comebacks. It's unfortunate, because as I said, generally I really like this match-up, but here the energy just wasn't there. *3/4

No comments:

Post a Comment