Saturday, October 3, 2020

The G1 Catch Up CONTINUES

 

Day 1: Jay White vs. Shingo Takagi
Man, Jay White was just so good in this match. His attack on Shingo's back in the early going, his selling, his facial expressions & his timing on all those things -- so, so good & compelling to watch. Shingo was awesome as well; I always like to call him a "bulldozer" when he is on the offense, and I got that feeling here again when he was just running through Switchblade with his STUFF. Talking about running, I do think the match ran too long by the end of it - they could’ve wrapped it earlier and it would’ve been a tighter package, but like 95% or more of the overall thing was absolutely lovely, so yeah, I loved it. ***1/2

Day 6: KENTA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
I have soured on Zack Sabre Jr. & his style of wrestling so much, and I don't even know the reason why. I just don't feel a thing when he is running through his quick transitions anymore, and in this match I felt like he could've done a lot more selling instead of just going to his cute submission stuff a second or two after KENTA had just booted him or something similar, you know. I probably would've loved this match a year or two ago, but now, I was left extremely cold by the action. A gentleman's **

Day 7: Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi
I really liked the first half (or so) with the main focus of the match being Taichi's attack on Okada's taped up lower back. Taichi was focused on it, and his work over it was pretty vicious. Okada's selling was also on point, even in his initial comeback bits, but sadly as the match went on & he got more into it, it seemed like that the whole narrative got completely dropped, and that is when I lost much interest in the thing. **1/2

Day 7: Jay White vs. Will Ospreay
I have about 0% interest in watching a Will Ospreay match at this time, but decided to give this a shot since it was against the wonderful Jay White. Wasn't really a good match, certainly the worst of the now-three that I have watched where they go against one another. White got to dominate a lot of the thing, and as usual, his work doing that was really good, but Ospreay's phony selling disregarded most of that. He did the usual Ospreay thang where he sells for one second & the next second he is doing his super flipz and movez, which all were even more uninteresting than usually, btw. And even though I love to praise the Switchblade & I did mention that his work was really good, I do think that this one was one of his more "lesser" performances, as in his output wasn't as compelling as in some of his previous G1 outings. Of course it helps that his opponent had nothing interesting to offer. *1/4

No comments:

Post a Comment