Saturday, March 21, 2020

The CM Punk Chronicles feat. HHH, ADR, Cena

WWE Night of Champions 2011: CM Punk vs. Triple H
Prior to this, I actually hadn't watched this match since it happened in 2011, and I am VERY surprised at how great this thing actually was. They showcase their pure disdain of one another brilliantly right from the get go as Punk jumps HHH during his entrance, and from then on, it's just a pure fight all over the place w/ nothing cute or lame about it. It's just them going at it, and I think what surprised me the most was that there wasn't any dead, dull moments in the thing -- in almost every lengthier WWE No DQ main event match like this, it feels like they could be trimmed quite a bit, but here Punk & Trips filled every second they got greatly. You can just feel the bitterness they feel for one another, and it's awesome. I actually also really enjoy all the shenanigans, starting from the Awesome Truth run-in -- they work in the context of the storylines going at the time, and I enjoy the super chaotic feel of it all. Kinda reminds me of Foley vs. Austin in that sense. Now the result is what it is -- it's what the match is mostly known for, and it sure is the wrong result in every way imaginable, but the actual match is pretty damn great in my eyes. ****

WWE Hell In A Cell 2011: CM Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena
Hot damn what a complete bore this was. Easily one of the most dull Hell In A Cell matches there have been. Most of the match falls into the 3-way trope of 2 guys fighting while 1 rests outside; now that said trope CAN work very well, but here it just annoyed me. Just didn't fit the HIAC gimmick at all or the wrestlers involved. It created for some extremely basic & forgettable exchanges, but then again, even in those rare times when all of them were going at it, it wasn't really interesting. If I had to name the most memorable things about this, I guess I would go for Punk kicking Cena when he went for the You Can't See Me taunt -- always love Punk not letting that happen, and then there was the bit where Del Rio slapped a CHINLOCK on him. Felt pretty baffling to see such thing inside the Cell, but hey, at least it was somewhat memorable in all of its absurdness. Bad match. *

No comments:

Post a Comment